What are the effects of cannabis?
Cannabis has a number of different effects. It is classed as a sedating and hallucinogenic drug. Its effects can turn out to be pleasant or unpleasant:
- Taking cannabis can make people feel chilled out, relaxed and happy, and they may get the giggles or become very talkative.
- It can make you more aware of your senses, and the hallucinogenic effects can even give you a feeling of time slowing down.
- It can make you feel very hungry – this is sometimes called ‘getting the munchies'.
- Some people have one or two drags on a joint and feel light-headed, faint and sick. This is sometimes called a ‘whitey’.
- Cannabis may cause feelings of anxiety, suspicion, panic and paranoia.